Considerations for the Alchemical Fire Ritual
Let us envision co-creating a safe, magical experience for everyone. In support of this vision, we offer these thoughts for your consideration.
- The area contained by the torches and prayer flags is Sacred. Please remember people are focusing on magickal work. To avoid distraction, we take conversations outside and away from the Circle.
- At the Gateway to the Circle, we may smudge one another or ourselves with sage smoke as a purification rite. All are invited to breathe, ground, center, and be aware we are entering Sacred Space each time we step through the Gate.
- The flow of energy moves around the fire. During moments when we wish to be still, we pause near the outer edge of the Circle, taking care to avoid standing between the drummers and the Fire.
- We feed the Sacred Fire with consciousness and intention. (No trash please.)
- Please contribute to the Food Altar, from which we nourish each other throughout the night.
- There is no photography or video recording while the ritual is in process. Please refrain from bringing flashing lights of any kind in or around the Ritual.
- We encourage personal responsibility and safety. Be mindful of your body and how you are moving.
- Music and drumming are in interactive harmonious relationship with, and in service to the Dance, Voice and Service portals.
- It is highly recommended that Drummers attend all sessions of “The Practice Workshops.” Our 5 core agreements are:
- We play only in the designated places provided.
- We rotate out of the ensemble area, so others can play.
- We transition into, and then fully embrace total silence.
- We honor and empower the full range of musical expression and diverse instrumentation.
- We learn and empower the root rhythm created by the current Groove Messengers.
A brief overview of The Practice of Alchemical Rhythmatism
- The seats in the Circle are for use when making music. At other times, please move your personal instruments aside and make room for other players to sit.
- Please ask before using someone else’s drums or instruments. To prevent blistered hands and damage to the drum, remove rings before playing.
- Feel free to play the instruments on the Percussion Altar. Please return them once finished.
- Listen, watch, feel . . . and listen some more. If all you can hear is your own drum, you’re playing too loudly. Hold awareness of how your sound fits in with the whole.
- All are encouraged to share songs and chants around the Fire.
- Sacraments, smokeable or drinkable, stay outside the Sacred Circle. At the Alchemical Fire Ritual, the circle is our sacrament.
- Everyone is encouraged to offer food and water to the drummers and dancers, smudge at the Gate, feed wood to the Fire, and care for the space and each other.
- Have fun, play to your heart’s content, and remember that you are witnessed within a Circle of Community.
- Let your love show on your face!
Over the course of the evening, when our minds begin to drift and the brilliance begins to fade, a deep work begins. In order to stay present and engaged, it is helpful to remember that we are each other’s inspiration. To find and renew this inspiration we need only to discover and rediscover the mysteries within our relationships. We create and explore relationship through our artful interactions in the circle.